Friday, January 29, 2010

I See the Moon and the Moon sees Me.

>

Moon (dir. Duncan Jones, aka David Bowie's son) is one of those films I meant to see in the theater when it first came out, simply on the strength of the poster, but I never made a priority. Lately, I've been seeing the title popping up on critics' "Best of 2009" lists (including that of the previous post), and when I re-watched the uneven The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy after Christmas with my parents it reminded me of my fondness for Sam Rockwell (dating back to Confessions of a Dangerous Mind). All these signs pointed to, "Watch Moon!," so I made it a priority on my Netflix queue (better a late priority than never) and got it done this evening.

You know what? I can't take the chance that I might give something away and ruin the film for someone who hasn't seen it.

But I would like to talk about the following topics:
  • overlapping edits
  • claustrophobia versus space
  • isolation and insanity
  • unobtrusive CGI - finally!
  • should robot voices be faster?
  • future/not future
  • low-budget look
  • Primer -- and if you've enjoyed Moon, but not watched Primer, you must rent it immediately
  • Effy from Skins
  • Bladerunner
  • Solyaris
  • best use of smileys in life or film
  • memory
  • oh, how the years in space might mellow one
  • the dying and the elderly
  • some massively mad green screen work
Now! Once you've seen it, we can get together for coffee and discuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment